Serjeant Phillip Scott
3rd Battalion The Rifles
5th November 2009


Serjeant Phillip Scott died following an improvised explosive device explosion in northern Helmand province.

His platoon was attached to B Company during a deliberate clearance operation in the town of Sangin aimed at increasing security for local Afghans and preparing the ground for further operations.t

Serjeant Phillip Scott, aged 30, was born in Malton, North Yorkshire, on 9 May 1979. He joined the Army in 2001, completing initial training at the Army Training Regiment, Winchester, and the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick before passing out to join C Company, 2nd Battalion, The Light Infantry in January 2002.

Just over a year later he was promoted to Lance Corporal and deployed to Iraq as Second in Command of a Rifle Section. In 2004 Serjeant Scott passed the Section Commanders' Battle Course in Brecon at the same time ashis brother Robin.

Promoted to Corporal shortly afterwards he was posted to the Battalion's prestigious Recce Platoon. He deployed on further operational tours in Northern Ireland and Iraq, as well as passing the Recce Commanders' Cadre before being sent back to ITC Catterick as an instructor to train recruits.

He returned to 3rd Battalion The Rifles (3 RIFLES) in Edinburgh earlier this year, returning to C Company as a Section Commander. He was promoted to Serjeant in July and moved back to Recce Platoon as a Section Commander. It was in this role that he deployed in September on Operation HERRICK 11 alongside his brother, a Platoon Serjeant in A Company.

Serjeant Scott, known as 'Scotty' amongst his colleagues, was a natural soldier: fit, robust and with an in-built feel for the countryside. Having grown up as a game-keeper's son in Yorkshire, he was perfect for the role of reconnaissance.

A career soldier, he aspired to pass Special Forces selection after the tour. Having excelled at everything in his career this would have been entirely within his abilities. Well liked and respected amongst those he worked with and for, he showed almost infinite potential and was certainly on a path of rapid promotion and excellence.

Serjeant Scott leaves behind his wife, Ellen, and two children; Ellie, aged three, and Michael, aged one. They lived together as a family in Edinburgh.